Buttermilk Biscuits with Green Onions, Black Pepper, and Sea Salt
(from Bon Appetit - Nov 2008)
3/4 cup chilled buttermilk
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
3 TBL sugar
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper plus additional for sprinkling
1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, plus 1 TBL melted butter
Coarse sea salt
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine buttermilk and green onions in medium bowl.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, and 1/2 tsp pepper in large bowl to blend. Add 1/2 cup chilled butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk mixture and stir until moist and clumps form.
- Gather dough together. Turn dough out onto floured surface and kneed gently just to combine, about 3 to 4 turns.
- Roll out to 3/4 inch thickness (I actually would prefer thicker) and cut with a 2 inch biscuit cutter
- Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter. Sprinkle each lightly with coarse sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Bake biscuits until golden, about 20 minutes.