Ham and White Bean Soup
1 lb great northern white beans
3 TBL olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups chicken broth
6-8 cups water
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 TBL sugar
1 leftover ham bone with either some ham left on the bone or leftover slices
- Go through your beans and pick out any rocks that remain
- Place your beans in a large stock pot and cover well with water
- Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 1 minute. Cover and turn off heat. Let sit for 1 hour
- Drain beans in a strainer and set aside
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat and saute carrots, celery and onion until tender. Add garlic when almost done sauteing.
- Add chicken stock and water.
- Add beans, salt, pepper and sugar
- Add ham bone, bring to a slow boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours. Stir frequently and rotate bone in the liquid
- Remove the ham bone and pull meat off of the bone or shred leftover slices in the soup.
- Continue to cook on low for another hour